Greenhill Humane Society is providing the following services to those affected by fires and smoke in the region:
- Emergency boarding for dogs, cats, and other small animals in the evacuation zones. To coordinate emergency boarding, please contact us at 541-689-1503 (press 1).
- Reuniting lost pets with owners. <dogs> <cats> <other animals>
- Pet food and supplies are available for pickup from Greenhill Humane Society at 88530 Green Hill Rd. in Eugene.
Resources for Large animals including livestock and horses can be found at this link which is maintained by the Oregon Animal Control Council and this link which is maintained by Lane County.
Additional resources for animals can be found at this link which is maintained by the Oregon Animal Control Council.
Injured wildlife in the fire evacuation zones can be reported to Cascades Raptor Center at 541-485-1320 during this time.
LOST & FOUND PETS
To report a lost or found animal you may:
- Call Greenhill Humane Society at 541-689-1503 or
- email firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Fill out the lost / found form here
If your animal(s) are still in the evacuation zone, take the following steps:
- Call Lane County Animal Services (LCAS) at 541-285-8227
- Fill out Greenhill’s lost / found report here
- Fill out the following form for a rescue request here. (The information on this form will be shared with multiple groups working together to rescue and care for animals in the evacuation zones).
During the current fire related crisis our phones are being answered throughout the night, but if you reach a voicemail message, please leave a detailed message with a description of the animal including breed, age, color/markings, sex, location last seen, collar/ID and your contact information.
We take dozens of lost reports daily and post found animals (not in our shelter) on our website and our Greenhill-Lost and Found Pets Facebook page. With the help of caring community members like you, we can often help reunite lost animals with their families outside of the shelter. Please scan found animals for a microchip! We can scan here at Greenhill, or contact a local veterinarian or Animal Welfare Officer.
EVACUATION ZONE ANIMAL RESCUE
The best way to help pets after a disaster is to ensure that they receive the proper care they need and are provided the best chance at being reunited with their family.
Only trained professionals should remove animals from the evacuation zones. Only injured animals or animals reported by their owners to Lane County Animal Services (LCAS) as needing rescue should be removed from their properties. Cats should not be trapped unless they are injured or a known owner has been contacted.
As counterintuitive as it may seem, not all animals should be removed from the evacuation site. This includes barn cats and feral cats. Feral and free-roaming cats should remain on their territory with regular check-ins to ensure they have fresh food, water and a safe shelter. If a safe shelter cannot be identified, one should be created onsite.
The best chance for pets to be reunited with their family is to follow these steps:
- Report all lost and found pets to Greenhill Humane Society bycalling 541-689-1503 or emailing email@example.com.
- If your animal(s) are still in the evacuation zone, request feeding and rescuing to Lane County Animal Services (LCAS) by calling 541-285-8227. This phone line is currently answered 24/7. As a secondary method of contact, email LCAS@lanecountyor.gov.
Found Dogs, cats and other small animals removed from the evacuation zone should be taken to the Greenhill Humane Society/Lane County Animals in Disaster (LCAID) Veterinary Triage Center at VCA McKenzie Animal Hospital located at 5303 Main St, Springfield. Veterinarians there will determine if the pet needs further care or if they can be transferred to Greenhill for shelter.
Large animals/livestock can be taken to the Lane County Fair Grounds for care and sheltering. To contact LCAS for large animals/livestock, please call 541-285-8227.
GENERAL EVACUATION INFORMATION
General evacuation information can be found at this link which is maintained by Lane County.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
You can support our lifesaving work by making a generous donation.
As our team continues to help animals and provide resources, we are in need of donations of the following items (as of 9/21):
- Pet food, dry and wet (dog, cat, rabbit)
If you are able to donate any of these items, please deliver them to Greenhill Humane Society at 88530 Green Hill Rd., Eugene.
If you would like to make a donation through PayPal, you can do here.
You can view our Amazon wish list and have items shipped directly to our shelter here.
STAY UP TO DATE
The following resources can help you stay up-to-date during this emergency:
- Animal Preparedness information can be found on the Lane County Animals in Disaster site here.
- General emergency information can be found on Lane County’s site here.
- General preparedness information can be found at Lane County Emergency Management, and Eugene Emergency Management.
- Follow Lane County Information on Twitter via @lanecountygov.
- Follow Greenhill Humane Society on Twitter @greenhillhumane.
- Follow Greenhill Humane Society on Facebook @greenhillhumane.
- Follow Greenhill Humane Society on Instagram @greenhillhumane.
Your support allows us to be there for animals and people when they need us most. Please donate today.