Please note: adoptions at both shelters end one hour before closing. Visiting hours end 30 minutes before closing.
Interested in adding some furry love to your life? Adopting a pet is extremely rewarding! We’ll help you find a great match. Simply follow these steps! Not sure where to start? Click here for help on choosing the right pet.
Step 1: View Available Pets – You can view our adoptable pets on our website or visit in person at our Green Hill Road location or our 1st Avenue location. For off-site adoption events, keep an eye on our website and our Facebook pages. Click here for dogs, here for cats, and here for other pets.
Step 2: Meet Your Match – When you visit our shelters looking to adopt, you’ll start by filling out our adoption application and talking with one of our adoption counselors. They will introduce you to available pets and guide you through making a great match for your household.
- To get a jump start on the process, you can print an Adoption Application to fill out ahead of time.
*Please NOTE: We only accept applications in person so please do not fax or email them. We do not take applications on animals that are not yet available for adoption.
- At the shelter, you’ll spend time getting to know your potential matches and talking with our animal care staff about their history and needs.
- If you are adopting a dog and already have a canine friend at home, our experienced kennel staff can help by facilitating a dog-to-dog introduction at the shelter if you like – just ask.
- Not ready to take your new pet home today? No worries! We offer a 24-hour hold to allow people to prepare to welcome their new addition.
Step 3: Complete Your Adoption – Once your match is made, we’ll answer any other questions you have and finish up the adoption paperwork! We will need about 30 mintues to complete the paperwork with you, and you’ll need a valid photo I.D. Adoption fees vary and are listed in each animal’s profile. Dog adopters living in the City of Eugene or unincorporated Lane County will also be required to purchase a dog license at the time of adoption.
Step 4: Your Lives Together – We want things to go well for you! If at any point you have concerns or issues during the life of your pet, we are here to help you. If things don’t work out at any time, we offer a guarantee of taking back any animal adopted through us. Please give us a call so we can help!
Benefits of Adopting from Greenhill Humane Society
With the following benefits from Greenhill Humane Society, you & your new pet will be off to a great start on a new life of love, snuggles, and adventures together.
Benefits For Your Pet
- All Greenhill pets receive a physical exam & behavioral evaluation by trained staff.
- Greenhill cats, dogs, and rabbits are spayed or neutered prior to adoption.
- All Greenhill pets receive all the recommended vaccinations prior to adoption.
- Greenhill cats & dogs are preventively treated for fleas & worms.
- Greenhill cats receive FIV/FeLV testing, if applicable.
- Greenhill dogs & cats get a collar & ID tag.
- Greenhill pets go home with a leash (for your dog) or a carrier (for your cat or other small pet).
Benefits For You
- You’ll have a pre-adoption consultation, to ensure a good match.
- You’ll be at ease knowing your pet has a trackable microchip from 24PetWatch™.
- You’ll be eligible for a free 30-day trial of pet insurance through 24PetWatch™.
- You’ll be eligible for a free post-adoption vet exam with a participating local veterinarian, to help you establish good ongoing healthcare for your new pet.
- You’ll know you’ve got our post-adoption support, to assure a smooth transition.
- You’ll rest easy knowing that (just in case) we guarantee your new pet can be returned to us at any time if the adoption does not work out or if circumstances change.