‘Tis the season to give thanks! When you count your blessings this year, we hope your pets will make the list. Here are the top reasons they made ours!
1. They love unconditionally – When you have a pet, you’re guaranteed love and affection. It makes our day to come home and see our furry, fluffy, or feathered companion so happy to see us!
2. They have a positive outlook – Pets are great at living in the moment.
3. They teach acceptance – From the moment they settle into a family to the moment it’s time to say goodbye, pets teach us to the importance of being present for every stage of life.
4. They enjoy the little things – Pets get a thrill out of walks, treats, their person coming home. And, oh yes, they’re just as excited about the cardboard box the new toy came in as they are about the toy itself!
5. They’re good for our health – Studies have repeatedly shown that being around pets can lower blood pressure, reduce stress and protect against heart disease. Taking your dog outside for a walk helps you both get exercise and some much needed fresh air.
6. They make us smile – While pets can’t guarantee that we won’t have hard days, they can make even the toughest times easier. We’ve found it almost impossible to not smile when your kitty is purring on your lap or chasing a crumpled piece of paper across the floor.
7. They teach empathy – Having a pet in your life helps you to get in tune with the feelings and needs of a different species than your own. There’s no one better than a pet to show you that different can be beautiful!
8. They give us purpose – It’s been said that your pet may only be here for a part of your life, but for them, you are their whole life. Making your pet’s time with you special can bring joy and purpose.
9. They’re thankful for us – Maybe the biggest reason to be thankful for your pet is that, no matter how imperfect you are or how many mistakes you make—your pet is thankful for you! You’re their best friend and they love us always.
We are so thankful for all our staff, volunteers, fosters and donors who support Greenhill, and of course, the animals! Best wishes for a happy Thanksgiving season to all the people and pets of our community!