To make your pets happy and healthy, here are the basic necessities that all responsible pet owners need to provide:
- Healthy food: Just like you, pets need a regular diet of quality food specific to their species.
- Cool, fresh water to drink: Pets should always have access to cool, clean water.
- Cozy shelter: Your pet should have a warm, safe, covered space to call home.
- Pets need to go to the bathroom, too!: Cats should have at least one litter box per cat, dogs should get out of the house for regular “potty breaks,” and all animals should have a clean living environment.
- Exercise: Dogs especially need to get out and play, or walk, or run every day. All animals need some form of exercise and stimulation regularly, just like you!
- Socialization: Your pet needs regular interactions with you and other people, and may enjoy interactions with other animals. Most pets are social creatures.
- Doctor visits: Your pets should be taken to the doctor (veterinarian) annually or as otherwise advised by your veterinarian.
Here are links to resources to help give you the tools you need to keep your pet happy and healthy: